Forming a business marks the start of a challenging and potentially prosperous adventure for would-be entrepreneurs. As a first step, business founders should familiarize themselves with the issues and considerations involved in selecting a business entity, entering into business agreements, hiring employees and understanding the municipal, state and federal laws that regulate their business.
Choice of Business Form
Business founders should carefully consider which business form may be most approrpriate for their new company. While many larger companies have adopted a C corporation form, a different form may be more advantageous depending on the your individual circumstances. Other business forms include S corporations, limited liability partnerships (LLPs), limited liability companies (LLCs), partnerships, and sole proprietorships.
Each business form subjects the business owners to different levels of liability and taxation. For example, shareholders of a C corporation are generally not personally liable for the debts of the corporation, while the partners in a partnership are personally liable for the debts of the partnership. However, partnership income flows through to the individual partners and is taxed only once while corporate income may be subject to double taxation: once at the corporate level and a second time at the individual level if the corporation pays dividends. A business lawyer can guide you through the different forms that may be appropriate in your situation, and explain the various administrative requirements you need to follow when starting up as well as on an annual basis.
- Tofu fix for McDonald's Japan, minimum wage headache in US - The Rakyat Post July 29, 2014 Tofu fix for McDonald's Japan, minimum wage headache in USThe Rakyat Post... the group's chief executive officer, Steve Caldeira, said in a statement. "Franchise job growth and new business formation have outpaced non-franchise growth for the
- Minimum-Wage Activists See Opportunity in McDonald's Decision - Bloomberg July 29, 2014 MiamiHerald.comMinimum-Wage Activists See Opportunity in McDonald's DecisionBloomberg... the group's chief executive officer, Steve Caldeira, said in a statement. "Franchise job growth and new business formation have outpaced non-franchise
- Med-Tech Report Says Midwest Health-Care Startups Had Best Half-Year in a ... - Wall Street Journal (blog) July 29, 2014 Wall Street Journal (blog)Med-Tech Report Says Midwest Health-Care Startups Had Best Half-Year in a ...Wall Street Journal (blog)BioEnterprise is a business-formation and acceleration program aimed at medical-technology companies in about a dozen
- McDonald's Is Employer to Franchise Workers, NLRB Finds - Bloomberg July 29, 2014 McDonald's Is Employer to Franchise Workers, NLRB FindsBloomberg"Franchise job growth and new business formation have outpaced non-franchise growth for the last five years but will undoubtedly come to a screeching halt if this decision is
- The Boston Startup Helping Young Companies Afford a Top-Notch Lawyer - BostInno July 29, 2014 The Boston Startup Helping Young Companies Afford a Top-Notch LawyerBostInnoCompanies sign up for Legal Hero, and select one of seven projects, from business formation to confidentiality agreements to employee termination, that it needs counsel on.
- Come Meet Seattle Startup Liaison Rebecca Lovell May 28, 2014 We are in the middle of a startup renaissance in Seattle and the State of Washington. We have a crowdfunding bill, and there is no end in sight for the possibilities. To add to all of the excitement, Rebecca Lovell just recently become the liaison to
- Patrick McDonough Nancy Grace Appearance Dec. 9, 2013 April 23, 2014 December 9, 2013 Patrick McDonough spars with Nancy Grace pointing out there are mere allegation with multiple explanations as to whether or not a Kentucky mother tried to sell her newborn child. McDonough explains this could all be about a
- Liability Exposures of Audit Committee Chairs April 18, 2014 One frequently asked question is whether members of a corporate board's audit committee face heightened liability exposures. Two recent SEC enforcement actions seem to underscore that audit committee chairs do face liability exposures. Though both
- Day 34 of the Bodhisattva in Lent: Without Harsh Words, in Silence April 17, 2014 A friend of mine just recently returned from a silent retreat and, though down the road a bit, I've determined that I shall imitate him on my birthday this upcoming August and have it be a completely quiet day in my life… 34 Harsh words
- Plagiarism and Copyright Infringement Two Sides of the Same Coin April 17, 2014 This post compares plagiarism and copyright infringement. It is prompted by a Quora question that I answered several months ago. (See Have your ideas or works ever been plagiarized? What The post Plagiarism and Copyright Infringement Two Sides