Business laws include all municipal, state, and federal laws that regulate businesses and commerce. For example, at the local level, some cities may require businesses operating within their boundaries to obtain a business license. Additionally, cities may have ordinances that restrict the location of businesses to areas zoned for commercial use. At the state level, a business will have to comply with a state's labor and employment laws when hiring employees. This includes wage and hour regulations, as well as any workplace safety laws regulating the business. Additionally, the state may also regulate certain businesses (e.g., contractors, attorneys, doctors, cosmetologists, etc.) by imposing licensing requirements. Federal laws that may impact a business include antitrust laws, federal labor and employment laws, and immigration laws.
Sealed v. Sealed
July 24, 2014
- Sealed v. Sealed July 24, 2014
- Sealed v. Sealed July 24, 2014
- US v. Sales July 23, 2014Appellant: UNITED STATESDefendant - Appellee: KENNETH ALBERT SALES, JR.
- Facebook, Inc., v. Grunin May 20, 2014
- Bill Introduced: S. 2205: Small Business Fairness in Health Care Act April 2, 2014 A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to exempt certain small businesses from the employer health insurance mandate and to modify the definition of full-time employee for purposes of such mandate.
- Bill Introduced: S. 2199: Paycheck Fairness Act March 31, 2014 A bill to amend the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to provide more effective remedies to victims of discrimination in the payment of wages on the basis of sex, and for other purposes.
- Bill Introduced: S. 2168: Small Business Stability Act March 26, 2014 A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to modify the definition of large employer for purposes of applying the employer mandate.
- Bill Introduced: H.R. 4304: Streamlining Permitting of American Energy Act of 2014 March 25, 2014 To make certain repeals and revisions to Federal labor laws, to decrease the regulatory burdens on small businesses, to provide for comprehensive energy reform, and to amend the securities laws to streamline access to capital.
- Bill Introduced: H.R. 7321: Auto Industry Financing and Restructuring Act December 9, 2008 To authorize financial assistance to eligible automobile manufacturers, and for other purposes.
- Notice - Notice Pursuant to the National Cooperative Research and Production Act of 1993; Global Climate and Energy Project July 24, 2014
- Notice - Notice Pursuant to the National Cooperative Research and Production Act of 1993-Advanced Media Workflow Association, Inc. July 23, 2014
- Notice - Notice Pursuant to the National Cooperative Research and Production Act of 1993-Joint Task-Force Networked Media July 23, 2014
- Notice - Notice of Request for Extension of a Currently Approved Information Collection December 5, 2011 In accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, this notice announces the Rural Business-Cooperative Service's (RBS) intention to request an extension of a currently approved information collection in support of the program for 7 CFR, part
- Notice - National Small Business Development Center Advisory Board; Public Meeting February 29, 2008
- Does Price Discrimination Intensify Competition? Implications for Antitrust July 24, 2014 Antitrust Law Journal, Vol. 72, No. 2, pp. 327-373, 2005, George Mason Law & Economics Research Paper No. 14-30
- Is 142 Euro Equal to 350,000 Euro? The CJEU Interpretation of 'Personal Injury' and 'Injured Party' in EU Motor Insurance Law July 24, 2014 EJRR: European Journal of Risk Regulation, Forthcoming
- Property in Labour and the Limits of Contract July 24, 2014 Forthcoming in the Handbook on Political Economy and Law, U. Mattei and J. Haskell, eds. Edward Elgar Publishing
- Copyright as Contract July 24, 2014 Jeffrey Lynch Harrison
- Contracts and Trust July 22, 2014 Colleen Tokar Asaad ,Bryan C. McCannon and Mark Wilson
- Experts call on judge to block Partners' hospital takeovers - Boston Globe July 24, 2014 Experts call on judge to block Partners' hospital takeoversBoston GlobeTwenty-one national antitrust experts and health economists are calling on a Massachusetts judge to block Partners HealthCare System's planned takeovers of South Shore
- Merger of papermakers may be OK'd despite antitrust concerns - Reuters UK July 24, 2014 Reuters UKMerger of papermakers may be OK'd despite antitrust concernsReuters UKThat would put the market squarely into the "highly concentrated" range, with a related strong grip on industry pricing, according to 2010 guidelines from the
- Merger of papermakers may be OK'd despite antitrust concerns - Reuters July 24, 2014 ReutersMerger of papermakers may be OK'd despite antitrust concernsReutersThat would put the market squarely into the "highly concentrated" range, with a related strong grip on industry pricing, according to 2010 guidelines from the
- Qualcomm: Chinese antitrust probe likely will result in 'some loss' - FierceWireless July 24, 2014 International Business Times UKQualcomm: Chinese antitrust probe likely will result in 'some loss'FierceWirelessChina's antitrust regulator has concluded that Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM) commands a monopoly in the Chinese chipset market,
- China's Antitrust Watchdog Sees Qualcomm as Having Monopoly - International Business Times UK July 24, 2014 International Business Times UKChina's Antitrust Watchdog Sees Qualcomm as Having MonopolyInternational Business Times UKChina's antitrust regulator believes US chipmaker Qualcomm enjoys a monopoly in the world's second largest economy,
- The Evolution of Executive Compensation and the Impact of Say on Pay April 22, 2014 The NYT published a pair of pieces on executive compensation. One looked at the amount (a 9% increase in the median) and the other looked at the metrics used to determine the amount. Other articles have suggested that companies use a wide variety of
- State Crowdfunding Exemptions and Federal Law April 21, 2014 The SEC has proposed, but not yet adopted, an exemption that would allow securities to be sold to the general public through crowdfunding. But a number of states have beat the SEC to the punch, adopting exemptions allowing securities to...
- How Much Does an Offering Memorandum Cost? April 21, 2014 By Alixe Cormick Asking what the "all-in-costs" are for preparing an offering memorandum (an OM) is like asking how much it costs to build a house. A new 4,000 square foot custom-built house in West Vancouver, BC will cost more than a 1,200 square
- Trade-marks: Guest Post: Proposed Changes to Canada's Trademark Laws April 20, 2014 Guest post by Andrei Mincov (Trademark Factory reprinted with permission) As many of you know, the Federal Government recently introduced Bill C-31, the Economic Action Plan 2014, No. 1. Among the changes to almost 40 different pieces of
- Bust-up candidates not just an 80s thing April 18, 2014 Many of the cases we study in my M&A course and in Corporations stem from the mid-1980s when the "bust-up deal" was the order of the day. It's often surprising to law students that a corporation might be "worth more...
- Sealed v. Sealed July 24, 2014