Business laws include all municipal, state, and federal laws that regulate businesses and commerce. For example, at the local level, some cities may require businesses operating within their boundaries to obtain a business license. Additionally, cities may have ordinances that restrict the location of businesses to areas zoned for commercial use. At the state level, a business will have to comply with a state's labor and employment laws when hiring employees. This includes wage and hour regulations, as well as any workplace safety laws regulating the business. Additionally, the state may also regulate certain businesses (e.g., contractors, attorneys, doctors, cosmetologists, etc.) by imposing licensing requirements. Federal laws that may impact a business include antitrust laws, federal labor and employment laws, and immigration laws.
Sealed v. Sealed
April 16, 2014
- Sealed v. Sealed April 16, 2014
- Sealed v. Sealed April 16, 2014
- Jerome Loach, Sr. v. Superintendent Benner SCI, et al April 15, 2014Plaintiff - Appellant: JEROME ALLEN LOACH, SR.Defendant - Appellee: SUPERINTENDENT BENNER SCI, DISTRICT ATTORNEY MONTGOMERY COUNTY, ATTORNEY GENERAL PENNSYLVANIA
- Campbell et al v. Facebook Inc. December 30, 2013
- Bill Introduced: S. 2199: Paycheck Fairness Act March 31, 2014 A bill to amend the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to provide more effective remedies to victims of discrimination in the payment of wages on the basis of sex, and for other purposes.
- Bill Introduced: S. 2168: Small Business Stability Act March 26, 2014 A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to modify the definition of large employer for purposes of applying the employer mandate.
- Bill Introduced: H.R. 4304: Streamlining Permitting of American Energy Act of 2014 March 25, 2014 To make certain repeals and revisions to Federal labor laws, to decrease the regulatory burdens on small businesses, to provide for comprehensive energy reform, and to amend the securities laws to streamline access to capital.
- Bill Introduced: S. 2153: National Regulatory Budget Act of 2014 March 24, 2014 A bill to establish a National Regulatory Budget, and for other purposes.
- Bill Introduced: H.R. 7321: Auto Industry Financing and Restructuring Act December 9, 2008 To authorize financial assistance to eligible automobile manufacturers, and for other purposes.
- Notice - Notice Pursuant to the National Cooperative Research and Production Act of 1993-Interchangeable Virtual Instruments Foundation, Inc. April 15, 2014
- Notice - Notice Pursuant to the National Cooperative Research and Production Act of 1993 -Commission on Massage Therapy Accreditation April 15, 2014
- Notice - Notice Pursuant to the National Cooperative Research April 15, 2014
- Notice - Notice of Request for Extension of a Currently Approved Information Collection December 5, 2011 In accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, this notice announces the Rural Business-Cooperative Service's (RBS) intention to request an extension of a currently approved information collection in support of the program for 7 CFR, part
- Notice - National Small Business Development Center Advisory Board; Public Meeting February 29, 2008
- Access, Fairness and Affordability: Procedural Justice in NICE, Anvisa and Conitec April 15, 2014 Ricardo Perlingeiro and Christopher Newdick
- The Validity of Deal Protection Devices in Negotiated Acquisition or Merger Transactions Under Anglo-American Law April 15, 2014 WY Wan "The Validity of Deal Protection Devices in Negotiated Acquisition or Merger Transactions under Anglo-American Law", (2010) 10 Journal of Corporate Law Studies 179
- The FTC and Privacy and Security Duties for the Cloud April 15, 2014 13 BNA Privacy & Security Law Report 577 (2014)
- Reconsidering Personal Liability on Directors and Senior Managers for Misstatements and Non-Disclosures to the Securities Market April 15, 2014 WY Wan "Reconsidering Personal Liability on Directors and Senior Managers for Misstatements and Non-Disclosures to the Securities Market", (2009) 9 Journal of Corporate Law Studies 235,
- Necessity for the Improvement of the Regulation of Standard Terms in Latvia (Tipveida līgumuregulē juma pilnveidoŠa nas ne piecie Šamība Latvijā) April 13, 2014 Vadim Mantrov
- FTC Commissioner Josh Wright's dissent on the antitrust analysis of mergers - Washington Post April 16, 2014 FTC Commissioner Josh Wright's dissent on the antitrust analysis of mergersWashington PostVia Geoff Manne at Truth on the Market, I see that FTC Commissioner Josh Wright has an important discussion of the burden of proof in merger analysis in his
- Seventh Circuit clarifies reach of US antitrust law to foreign commerce - Lexology (registration) April 16, 2014 Seventh Circuit clarifies reach of US antitrust law to foreign commerceLexology (registration)A recent decision from the Seventh Circuit in Motorola v AU Optronics Corp has provided much-needed clarification on the scope of the Foreign Trade
- Hungary warned over antitrust laws - European Voice April 16, 2014 Hungary warned over antitrust lawsEuropean VoiceThe European Commission has accused the Hungarian government of tampering with the independence of the national antitrust authority and has threatened to take legal action against the country. The
- Sports antitrust lawyer's latest target: NCAA scholarship limits - Inside Higher Ed April 16, 2014 Sports antitrust lawyer's latest target: NCAA scholarship limitsInside Higher EdThe big-time college sports industry is facing potentially momentous legal challenges from almost every direction. From the West Coast came the antitrust class action
- Lawsuits claim Keurig Green Mountain violating antitrust laws - BurlingtonFreePress.com April 15, 2014 Lawsuits claim Keurig Green Mountain violating antitrust lawsBurlingtonFreePress.comKeurig Green Mountain's plans to introduce a new single-serve brewer that will lock out competitors has triggered a backlash that includes 14 lawsuits filed in
- CFPB Offers Reprieve to Banks on Foreign Remittance Transfers April 15, 2014 Photo credit: epSos.de In August of last year, I summarized the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's Foreign Remittance Transfer rules here on the North Carolina Business & Banking Law Blog. Those rules became effective in late October 2013. By
- Hiring Employees April 15, 2014 Now that you've committed to starting your new business, developed a solid business plan, obtained necessary financing, decided on a business entity and entered into a commercial lease, it's time to consider the hiring of employees. Whether or not
- The Northwestern Exemption: How Unregistered Selling Agents (Finders) Sell Securities out West April 15, 2014 By Alixe Cormick Issuers need two exemptions when selling exempt market securities. ONE exemption, which provides relief from the obligation to file a prospectus and register the securities to be sold, and a SECOND exemption, to provide relief
- Contest Law: "FTC First Shot Across the Bow: Is Your Social Media Contest Next?" April 15, 2014 Guest post by Amy Sullivan Cahill (member Stites & Harbison PLLC, Louisville KY) April 15, 2014 False, misleading or fake "likes", "favorites" or "endorsements" have been a topic on my mind recently and one that I have found quite interesting,
- Contest Law: "FTC First Shot Across the Bow: Is Your Social Media Contest Next?" April 15, 2014 Guest post by Amy Sullivan Cahill (member Stites & Harbison PLLC, Louisville KY) False, misleading or fake "likes", "favorites" or "endorsements" have been a topic on my mind recently and one that I have found quite interesting, particularly
- Sealed v. Sealed April 16, 2014