Business laws include all municipal, state, and federal laws that regulate businesses and commerce. For example, at the local level, some cities may require businesses operating within their boundaries to obtain a business license. Additionally, cities may have ordinances that restrict the location of businesses to areas zoned for commercial use. At the state level, a business will have to comply with a state's labor and employment laws when hiring employees. This includes wage and hour regulations, as well as any workplace safety laws regulating the business. Additionally, the state may also regulate certain businesses (e.g., contractors, attorneys, doctors, cosmetologists, etc.) by imposing licensing requirements. Federal laws that may impact a business include antitrust laws, federal labor and employment laws, and immigration laws.
DeSpenza v. Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office
July 31, 2014
Cause Of Action: Petition for Writ of Mandamus
- Intertel Communications v. United States Department of Treasury July 31, 2014Cause Of Action: IRS: Refund Excise Tax
- Skillicorn et al v. CitiMortgage, Inc. et al July 31, 2014Cause Of Action: Petition for Removal
- Bonnie Lammers v. Warren Benson Law Group July 31, 2014Cause Of Action: Diversity-Declaratory Judgement
- Facebook, Inc., v. Grunin May 20, 2014
- Bill Introduced: S. 2205: Small Business Fairness in Health Care Act April 2, 2014 A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to exempt certain small businesses from the employer health insurance mandate and to modify the definition of full-time employee for purposes of such mandate.
- Bill Introduced: S. 2199: Paycheck Fairness Act March 31, 2014 A bill to amend the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to provide more effective remedies to victims of discrimination in the payment of wages on the basis of sex, and for other purposes.
- Bill Introduced: S. 2168: Small Business Stability Act March 26, 2014 A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to modify the definition of large employer for purposes of applying the employer mandate.
- Bill Introduced: H.R. 4304: Streamlining Permitting of American Energy Act of 2014 March 25, 2014 To make certain repeals and revisions to Federal labor laws, to decrease the regulatory burdens on small businesses, to provide for comprehensive energy reform, and to amend the securities laws to streamline access to capital.
- Bill Introduced: H.R. 7321: Auto Industry Financing and Restructuring Act December 9, 2008 To authorize financial assistance to eligible automobile manufacturers, and for other purposes.
- Notice - Notice Pursuant to the National Cooperative Research and Production Act of 1993; IMS Global Learning Consortium, Inc. July 28, 2014
- Notice - Notice Pursuant to the National Cooperative Research and Production Act of 1993; Global Climate and Energy Project July 24, 2014
- Notice - Notice Pursuant to the National Cooperative Research and Production Act of 1993-Joint Task-Force Networked Media July 23, 2014
- Notice - Notice of Request for Extension of a Currently Approved Information Collection December 5, 2011 In accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, this notice announces the Rural Business-Cooperative Service's (RBS) intention to request an extension of a currently approved information collection in support of the program for 7 CFR, part
- Notice - National Small Business Development Center Advisory Board; Public Meeting February 29, 2008
- Books, Apps, Movies and Music Ownership of Virtual Property in the Digital Library July 31, 2014 European Property Law Journal. Volume 2, Issue 2, Pages 194212.,
- A Corporate Governance Perspective on the Franchisor-Franchisee Relationship July 31, 2014 Stanford Journal of Law, Business, and Finance, Vol. 19, No. 103, 2014 Forthcoming, Ross School of Business Paper No. 1245
- Does the Endowment Effect Justify Legal Intervention? The Debiasing Effect of Institutions July 30, 2014 NYU School of Law, Public Law Research Paper No. 14-36, NYU Law and Economics Research Paper No. 14-18
- Three Models of Promissory Estoppel July 29, 2014 (2013) 7 Journal of Equity 226-249, 2014
- Defining the Scope of State Aid: How Tax Cases Affect the State Aid Framework July 25, 2014 Raymond Luja
- Wind Co. Antitrust Claims Not 'Feeble,' 7th Circ. Says - Law360 (subscription) July 31, 2014 Wind Co. Antitrust Claims Not 'Feeble,' 7th Circ. SaysLaw360 (subscription)Law360, New York (July 31, 2014, 5:53 PM ET) -- An attempt by a company that maintains wind turbines to undermine its own antitrust allegations in order to claim an
- FTC Tells High Court Dental Board Lacks Antitrust Immunity - Law360 (subscription) July 31, 2014 FTC Tells High Court Dental Board Lacks Antitrust ImmunityLaw360 (subscription)Law360, New York (July 31, 2014, 3:13 PM ET) -- The Federal Trade Commission on Wednesday urged the U.S. Supreme Court to uphold a Fourth Circuit finding that the North
- Contractual Duty to Deal Does Not Equal Antitrust Duty to Deal - The National Law Review July 31, 2014 Contractual Duty to Deal Does Not Equal Antitrust Duty to DealThe National Law ReviewAddressing for the first time whether a patent holder under a contractual duty to deal is also subject to an antitrust duty to deal, the U.S. Court of Appeals for
- Google may face Android antitrust investigation in Europe, says Reuters - The Verge July 31, 2014 Marketing LandGoogle may face Android antitrust investigation in Europe, says ReutersThe VergeThe European Commission is preparing an antitrust case against Google's Android platform, sources have told Reuters. Regulators have allegedly sent
- Idaho health system to run medical group during antitrust appeal - Healthcare Dive July 31, 2014 Idaho health system to run medical group during antitrust appealHealthcare DiveSt. Luke's Health System in Idaho has won permission from a federal appeals court to keep running Nampa-based Saltzer Medical Group while fighting an earlier ruling
- The Evolution of Executive Compensation and the Impact of Say on Pay April 22, 2014 The NYT published a pair of pieces on executive compensation. One looked at the amount (a 9% increase in the median) and the other looked at the metrics used to determine the amount. Other articles have suggested that companies use a wide variety of
- State Crowdfunding Exemptions and Federal Law April 21, 2014 The SEC has proposed, but not yet adopted, an exemption that would allow securities to be sold to the general public through crowdfunding. But a number of states have beat the SEC to the punch, adopting exemptions allowing securities to...
- How Much Does an Offering Memorandum Cost? April 21, 2014 By Alixe Cormick Asking what the "all-in-costs" are for preparing an offering memorandum (an OM) is like asking how much it costs to build a house. A new 4,000 square foot custom-built house in West Vancouver, BC will cost more than a 1,200 square
- Trade-marks: Guest Post: Proposed Changes to Canada's Trademark Laws April 20, 2014 Guest post by Andrei Mincov (Trademark Factory reprinted with permission) As many of you know, the Federal Government recently introduced Bill C-31, the Economic Action Plan 2014, No. 1. Among the changes to almost 40 different pieces of
- Bust-up candidates not just an 80s thing April 18, 2014 Many of the cases we study in my M&A course and in Corporations stem from the mid-1980s when the "bust-up deal" was the order of the day. It's often surprising to law students that a corporation might be "worth more...
- Intertel Communications v. United States Department of Treasury July 31, 2014