Real Estate & Property Law
Real estate refers to land, as well as anything permanently attached to the land, such as buildings and other structures. Both federal and state laws regulate real estate transactions. For example, the Federal Fair Housing Act (42 U.S.C. §§ 3601-3631) protects people involved in real estate transactions from discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. The Supreme Court case of Meyer v. Holley, 537 U.S. 280 (2002), illustrates how a real estate company can be held liable for violating the Federal Fair Housing Act. States also have unique real estate laws which apply only to their jurisdiction.
Contract law governs the sale of real estate. Thus the Statute of Frauds (Uniform Commercial Code § 2-201), a principle of contract law, dictates that real estate transactions be in writing. Furthermore, since real estate transactions involve the sale of land, real property law also influences real estate law. For instance, the seller of property must show that that the title he or she is offering is marketable. Thus, the seller must prove that he or she owns title to the property and that no third party has an undisclosed interest in the property. However, real property is not synonymous with real estate. Real property only refers to land, while real estate also includes structures on the land.
Real Estate Transactions
Oftentimes, a seller will employ a broker to help facilitate a real estate transaction. The seller and the broker then enter into a listing agreement or contract. Real estate brokers must be licensed according to the guidelines set by state laws. Once a prospective buyer is found, the buyer then initiates an investigation in order to determine if the seller's title is marketable. The buyer may choose to utilize the services of an attorney or title insurance company to inquire into the marketability of the real estate. If the title is marketable, then a deed containing a description of the real estate must be completed and delivered. Depending on the applicable state law, the buyer may then be required to record the transfer of title or to give notice to subsequent bona fide purchasers.
A buyer of real estate may choose to utilize a mortgage to finance the purchase of real estate. When a borrower mortgages real estate, the borrower receives a loan from the lender. In return, the lender obtains an interest or lien on the real estate. The borrower must pay back the loan, usually through monthly installment payments. If the borrower fails to pay the lender according to the terms of the mortgage, the lender may foreclose on the real estate. A foreclosure involves the forced sale of the real estate. The proceeds of the sale are then used to pay off the loan originally provided to the lender.
Like other aspects of real estate law, mortgages are also governed by principles of contract law. For instance, the Uniform Commercial Code, the main source of statutory contract law, regulates conflicting interests between mortgages on property and other liens.
March 10, 2014
Cause Of Action: Civil Rights Act
- Metropolitan Life Insurance Company v. Leonis et al March 10, 2014Cause Of Action: Fed. Question: Insurance Contract
- Jones-Mixon v. Bloomingdale's, Inc. et al March 10, 2014Cause Of Action: Petition for Removal - Employment Discrimination
- Stout -v- Hartford Life and Accident Insurance Company March 10, 2014Cause Of Action: E.R.I.S.A.: Employee Benefits
- Souzan Aourout v. Pepsico Inc March 10, 2014
- Bill Introduced: S. 2042: Clean Estuaries Act of 2014 February 25, 2014 A bill to amend the Federal Water Pollution Control Act to reauthorize the National Estuary Program, and for other purposes.
- Bill Introduced: H.Res. 479: Recognizing the 20th anniversary of the Executive Order 12898, Federal Actions to Address Environmental Justice in Minority Populations and Low-Income Populations. February 10, 2014 Recognizing the 20th anniversary of the Executive Order 12898, Federal Actions to Address Environmental Justice in Minority Populations and Low-Income Populations.
- Bill Introduced: S. 1828: Preserving Access to Manufactured Housing Act of 2013 December 15, 2013 A bill to amend the Truth in Lending Act to modify the definitions of a mortgage originator and a high-cost mortgage.
- Bill Introduced: S. 3689: Economic Recovery Act of 2008 November 16, 2008 A bill making supplemental appropriations for job creation and preservation, infrastructure investment, and economic and energy assistance for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2009, and for other purposes.
- Bill Sent To President: H.R. 1424: Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 October 2, 2008 To amend section 712 of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, section 2705 of the Public Health Service Act, and section 9812 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to require equity in the provision of mental health and
- Notice - 60-Day Notice of Proposed Information Collection: Pre-Purchase Homeownership Counseling Demonstration and Impact Evaluation March 10, 2014 HUD is seeking approval from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for the information collection described below. In accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act, HUD is requesting comment from all interested parties on the proposed collection of
- Notice - Notice of HUD's Fiscal Year (FY) 2013 Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) for Section 811 Project Rental Assistance Program March 10, 2014 This notice announces that HUD has posted on http:// www.Grants.gov and http://www.HUD.gov a Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) for HUD's Fiscal Year (FY) 2013 Section 811 Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities (Section 811) Project
- Notice - U.S. Department of Agriculture Multi-Family Housing Program 2014 Industry Forums-Open Teleconference and/or Web Conference Meetings March 10, 2014 This Notice announces a series of Teleconferences and/or Web Conference Meetings regarding the USDA Multi-Family Housing Program. The Teleconference and/or Web Conference Meetings will be scheduled on a quarterly basis, but may be held more often at
- Rule - Approval and Promulgation of Air Quality Implementation Plans; New Hampshire; Manchester and Nashua Carbon Monoxide Limited Maintenance Plans March 10, 2014 The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is approving a State Implementation Plan (SIP) revision submitted by the State of New Hampshire. This SIP revision establishes carbon monoxide (CO) limited maintenance plans for the City of Manchester, New
- Proposed Rule - Responsibilities of Boards of Directors, Corporate Practices and Corporate Governance Matters February 28, 2014 On January 28, 2014, the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) published in the Federal Register a notice of proposed rulemaking for public comment proposing to amend its regulations by relocating, consolidating, and modifying as necessary, certain
- Small Property, Big Market: A Focal Point Explanation March 10, 2014 American Journal of Comparative Law, Vol. 63, No. 1 (2015), Forthcoming
- Homelessness at the Cathedral March 1, 2014 Marc Lane Roark
- Equally Weighted vs. Long-Run Optimal Portfolios February 28, 2014 Forthcoming, European Financial Management
- Organisation and Composition of Legal Prose February 28, 2014 John Prebble
- Carbonomics: How to Fix the Climate and Charge it to OPEC September 27, 2012 CARBONOMICS: HOW TO FIX THE CLIMATE AND CHARGE IT TO OPEC, Diamond, 2008
- Judge: Arena eminent domain suit will stay in Sacramento - Sacramento Bee March 10, 2014 Judge: Arena eminent domain suit will stay in SacramentoSacramento BeeThe city sued the building's owners under the eminent domain law in January, after sale negotiations broke down. The two sides are ... "We need to get this piece of property,"
- Attorney David Willis of LoneStarLandLaw.com Announced the Publication of ... - PR Web (press release) March 10, 2014 Attorney David Willis of LoneStarLandLaw.com Announced the Publication of ...PR Web (press release)The second edition of "Real Estate Law & Asset Protection for Texas Real Estate Investors" outlines important changes in the law as of
- School leavers swing back to law and construction courses - Irish Independent March 8, 2014 Irish IndependentSchool leavers swing back to law and construction coursesIrish IndependentThinkstock. Katherine Donnelly Education Editor Published 09 March 2014 06:00 AM. SCHOOL leavers are swinging back to college courses leading to careers
- Insurance Coverage for Defective Construction: Litigation, Legislation and ... - Law.com March 8, 2014 Insurance Coverage for Defective Construction: Litigation, Legislation and ...Law.comIf you have ever remodeled or built a house, you can begin to understand a significant issue that has generated both litigation and legislation arising out of
- Is Oregon's land-use system fair? Take 3 For Politics (video) - The Oregonian March 7, 2014 Is Oregon's land-use system fair? Take 3 For Politics (video)The OregonianTake 3 For Politics: Oregon's land-use system Is Oregon's land-use system fair? PolitiFact Oregon reporter Dana Tims and Michelle Brence, politics editor/managing
- OILY WASTE COST $1.2 MILLION March 6, 2014 Singapore Shipping Company, Crew Member, Plead Guilty to Illegally Discharging Oily Waste Company Agrees to Pay $1.2 Million Penalty; $300,000 Will Fund Long Island Sound Projects Singapore-based ODFJELL ASIA II PTE LTD (ODFJELL) and one of its
- More on Termination for Convenience in Washington March 6, 2014 In recent posts, we discussed termination-for-convenience provisions in construction contracts, noting that such provisions appear in both governmental and non-governmental contracts. Construction Contracts Termination Basics - Part I; Part II. This
- KIDS DRIVE SPENDING March 6, 2014 Having Children Major Driver of Spending Patterns in U.S. Average daily spending falls once children turn 18 by Joy Wilke WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Americans who have at least one child under the age of 18 report spending $29 more daily, on average, than
- MYALEPT March 6, 2014 FDA approves Myalept to treat rare metabolic disease On Feb. 24, 2014, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Myalept (metreleptin for injection) as replacement therapy to treat the complications of leptin deficiency, in addition to diet, in
- No Mechanics Lien For Pre-Purchase Due Diligence Consultants March 6, 2014 Fees for property purchase feasibility consulting are not secured by a mechanics lien. That's what a panel of Illinois Appellate Court Justices held in Mostardi-Platt Associates v. Czerniejewski. Backstory Power Holdings of Illinois wants to build a
- Metropolitan Life Insurance Company v. Leonis et al March 10, 2014