OSHA Handbook for Small Businesses
- Is your local fire department well acquainted with your facilities, its location and specific hazards?
- If you have a fire alarm system, is it certified as required?
- If you have a fire alarm system, is it tested at least annually?
- If you have interior stand pipes and valves, are they inspected regularly?
- If you have outside private fire hydrants, are they flushed at least once a year and on a routine preventive maintenance schedule?
- Are fire doors and shutters in good operating condition?
- Are fire doors and shutters unobstructed and protected against obstructions, including their counterweights?
- Are fire door and shutter fusible links in place?
- Are automatic sprinkler system water control valves, air and water pressure checked weekly/ periodically as required?
- Is the maintenance of automatic sprinkler systems assigned to responsible persons or to a sprinkler contractor?
- Are sprinkler heads protected by metal guards, when exposed to physical damage?
- Is proper clearance maintained below sprinkler heads?
- Are portable fire extinguishers provided in adequate number and type?
- Are fire extinguishers mounted in readily accessible locations?
- Are fire extinguishers recharged regularly and noted on the inspection tag?
- Are employees periodically instructed in the use of extinguishers and fire protection procedures?