Table of Contents
|November 1, 2005||GUIDELINES MANUAL||§2M6.1|
6. NUCLEAR, BIOLOGICAL, AND CHEMICAL WEAPONS AND MATERIALS, AND OTHER WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION
Historical Note:: Effective November 1, 1987. Amended effective November 1, 2001 (see Appendix C, amendment 633).
§2M6.1. Unlawful Production, Development, Acquisition, Stockpiling, Alteration, Use, Transfer, or Possession of Nuclear Material, Weapons, or Facilities, Biological Agents, Toxins, or Delivery Systems, Chemical Weapons, or Other Weapons of Mass Destruction; Attempt or Conspiracy
(a) Base Offense Level (Apply the greatest):
(1) 42, if the offense was committed with intent (A) to injure the United States; or (B) to aid a foreign nation or a foreign terrorist organization;
(2) 28, if subsections (a)(1), (a)(3), and (a)(4) do not apply;
(3) 22, if the defendant is convicted under 18 U.S.C. § 175b; or
(4) 20, if (A) the defendant is convicted under 18 U.S.C. § 175(b); or (B) the offense (i) involved a threat to use a nuclear weapon, nuclear material, or nuclear byproduct material, a chemical weapon, a biological agent, toxin, or delivery system, or a weapon of mass destruction; but (ii) did not involve any conduct evidencing an intent or ability to carry out the threat.
(b) Specific Offense Characteristics
(1) If (A) subsection (a)(2) or (a)(4)(A) applies; and (B) the offense involved a threat to use, or otherwise involved (i) a select biological agent; (ii) a listed precursor or a listed toxic chemical; (iii) nuclear material or nuclear byproduct material; or (iv) a weapon of mass destruction that contains any agent, precursor, toxic chemical, or material referred to in subdivision (i), (ii), or (iii), increase by 2 levels.
(2) If (A) subsection (a)(2), (a)(3), or (a)(4)(A) applies; and (B)(i) any victim died or sustained permanent or life-threatening bodily injury, increase by
4 levels; (ii) any victim sustained serious bodily injury, increase by 2
levels; or (iii) the degree of injury is between that specified in subdivisions (i) and (ii), increase by 3 levels.
(3) If (A) subsection (a)(2), (a)(3), or (a)(4) applies; and (B) the offense resulted in (i) substantial disruption of public, governmental, or business functions or services; or (ii) a substantial expenditure of funds to clean up, decontaminate, or otherwise respond to the offense, increase by 4
– 265 –
Table of Contents