Table of Contents
|§2P1.1||GUIDELINES MANUAL||November 1, 2005|
2. "Returned voluntarily" includes voluntarily returning to the institution or turning one’s self in to a law enforcement authority as an escapee (not in connection with an arrest or other charges).
3. If the adjustment in subsection (b)(4) applies, no adjustment is to be made under §3B1.3 (Abuse of Position of Trust or Use of Special Skill).
4. If death or bodily injury resulted, an upward departure may be warranted. See Chapter Five, Part K (Departures).
5. Criminal history points under Chapter Four, Part A (Criminal History) are to be determined independently of the application of this guideline. For example, in the case of a defendant serving a one-year sentence of imprisonment at the time of the escape, criminal history points from §4A1.1(b) (for the sentence being served at the time of the escape), §4A1.1(d) (custody status), and §4A1.1(e) (recency) would be applicable.
6. If the adjustment in subsection (b)(1) applies as a result of conduct that involves an official victim, do not apply §3A1.2 (Official Victim).
Historical Note:: Effective November 1, 1987. Amended effective November 1, 1989 (see Appendix C, amendments 200 and 201); November 1, 1990 (see Appendix C, amendment 341); November 1, 1991 (see Appendix C, amendment 406).
§2P1.2. Providing or Possessing Contraband in Prison
(a) Base Offense Level:
(1) 23, if the object was a firearm or destructive device.
(2) 13, if the object was a weapon (other than a firearm or a destructive device), any object that might be used as a weapon or as a means of facilitating escape, ammunition, LSD, PCP, methamphetamine, or a narcotic drug.
(3) 6, if the object was an alcoholic beverage, United States or foreign currency, or a controlled substance (other than LSD, PCP, methamphetamine, or a narcotic drug).
(4) 4, if the object was any other object that threatened the order, discipline, or security of the institution or the life, health, or safety of an individual.
(b) Specific Offense Characteristic
(1) If the defendant was a law enforcement or correctional officer or employee, or an employee of the Department of Justice, at the time of the offense, increase by 2 levels.
(c) Cross Reference
– 274 –
Table of Contents