Appendix C, amendment 477); November 1, 1995 (see Appendix C, amendment 511); November 1, 1997 (see Appendix C, amendment 545); November 1, 2000 (see Appendix C, amendments 592 and 601); November 1, 2001 (see Appendix C, amendment 615); November 1, 2003 (see Appendix C, amendment 661); November 1, 2004 (see Appendix C, amendment 664).
§2A3.2. Criminal Sexual Abuse of a Minor Under the Age of Sixteen Years (Statutory Rape) or Attempt to Commit Such Acts
(a) Base Offense Level: 18
(b) Specific Offense Characteristics
(1) If the minor was in the custody, care, or supervisory control of the defendant, increase by 4 levels.
(2) If (A) subsection (b)(1) does not apply; and (B)(i) the offense involved the knowing misrepresentation of a participant’s identity to persuade, induce, entice, or coerce the minor to engage in prohibited sexual conduct; or (ii) a participant otherwise unduly influenced the minor to engage in prohibited sexual conduct, increase by 4 levels.
(3) If a computer or an interactive computer service was used to persuade, induce, entice, or coerce the minor to engage in prohibited sexual conduct, increase by 2 levels.
(c) Cross Reference
(1) If the offense involved criminal sexual abuse or attempt to commit criminal sexual abuse (as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 2241 or § 2242), apply §2A3.1 (Criminal Sexual Abuse; Attempt to Commit Criminal Sexual Abuse). If the victim had not attained the age of 12 years, §2A3.1 shall apply, regardless of the "consent" of the victim.
Statutory Provision: 18 U.S.C. § 2243(a). For additional statutory provision(s), see Appendix A (Statutory Index).
1. Definitions.—For purposes of this guideline:
"Computer" has the meaning given that term in 18 U.S.C. § 1030(e)(1).
"Interactive computer service" has the meaning given that term in section 230(e)(2) of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. § 230(f)(2)).
"Minor" means (A) an individual who had not attained the age of 16 years; (B) an individual, whether fictitious or not, who a law enforcement officer represented to a participant (i) had not