Derivative Status

Getting a status (visa) through another applicant, as provided under immigration law for certain visa categories.  For example, the spouse and children of an exchange visitor (J Visa holder), would be granted derivative status as a J-2 Visa holder.  Derivative status is only possible if the principal applicant is issued a visa.

Source: U.S. Department of State.