1752.Owning or Operating a Chop Shop (Veh. Code, § 10801)
The defendant is charged [in Count ] with owning or operating a
chop shop [in violation of Vehicle Code section 10801].
To prove that the defendant is guilty of this crime, the People must
1. The defendant knew that (he/she) (owned/ [or] operated) a chop
1. The defendant intentionally (owned/ [or] operated) the chop
Achop shop is a building, lot, or other place where:
1. A person alters, destroys, takes apart, reassembles, or stores a
motor vehicle or motor vehicle part;
2. That person knows that the vehicle or part has been obtained by
theft, fraud, or conspiracy to defraud;
3. That person knows that the vehicle or part was obtained in
order to either:
a. Sell or dispose of the vehicle or part;
b. Alter, counterfeit, deface, destroy, disguise, falsify, forge,
obliterate, or remove the identity, including an identiﬁcation
number, of the vehicle or part, in order to misrepresent its
identity or prevent its identiﬁcation.
New January 2006
The court has a sua sponte duty to give this instruction deﬁning the elements of
• Elements. Veh. Code, § 10801.
•Chop Shop Deﬁned. Veh. Code, § 250.
• Meaning of “Operate.” People v. Ramirez (2000) 79 Cal.App.4th 408,