Change Status

Changing from one nonimmigrant visa status to another nonimmigrant visa status while a person is in the U.S. is permitted for some types of visas, if approved by USCIS.  Requests for change of status must be made by the visa holder to the Department of Homeland Security, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS determines whether the request is approved or denied.

Source: U.S. Department of State.