Counterfeiting and Infringement of Copyright or Trademark - Basic Economic Offenses
|November 1, 2005||GUIDELINES MANUAL||§2B5.1|
Subsection (b)(2)(A) implements, in a broader form, the instruction to the Commission in section 961(m) of Public Law 101-73.
Subsection (b)(2)(B) implements the instruction to the Commission in section 2507 of Public Law 101-647.
Historical Note:: Effective November 1, 1987. Amended effective November 1, 1990 (see Appendix C, amendment 317); November 1, 1991 (see Appendix C, amendments 364 and 422); November 1, 1992 (see Appendix C, amendment 468); November 1, 1997 (see Appendix C, amendment 553); November 1, 2001 (see Appendix C, amendment 617); November 1, 2002 (see Appendix C, amendments 639 and 646); November 1, 2004 (see Appendix C, amendment 666).
* * * * *
5. COUNTERFEITING AND INFRINGEMENT OF COPYRIGHT OR TRADEMARK
Historical Note:: Effective November 1, 1987. Amended effective November 1, 1993 (see Appendix C, amendment 481).
§2B5.1. Offenses Involving Counterfeit Bearer Obligations of the United States
(a) Base Offense Level: 9
(b) Specific Offense Characteristics
(1) If the face value of the counterfeit items (A) exceeded $2,000 but did not exceed $5,000, increase by 1 level; or (B) exceeded $5,000, increase by the number of levels from the table in §2B1.1 (Theft, Property Destruction, and Fraud) corresponding to that amount.
(2) If the defendant (A) manufactured or produced any counterfeit obligation or security of the United States, or possessed or had custody of or control over a counterfeiting device or materials used for counterfeiting; or (B) controlled or possessed (i) counterfeiting paper similar to a distinctive paper; or (ii) a feature or device essentially identical to a distinctive counterfeit deterrent, increase by 2 levels.
(3) If subsection (b)(2)(A) applies, and the offense level determined under that subsection is less than level 15, increase to level 15.
(4) If a dangerous weapon (including a firearm) was possessed in connection with the offense, increase by 2 levels. If the resulting offense level is less than level 13, increase to level 13.
(5) If any part of the offense was committed outside the United States, increase by 2 levels.
– 113 –