Work Visas

Figuring out what type of work visa you need can be a difficult task. There are a number of work visas that are available to foreign citizens who wish to work in the United States. The visa that an individual may be eligible for depends on the nature of the work that is to be conducted. Most employment visas are non-immigrant visas that give foreign citizens the ability to temporarily live and work in the United States. The process of obtaining a visa can be long and complicated, which is why consulting a qualified immigration attorney who understands the nuances of work visas is a good starting point.

EB-1 Visa for Priority Workers

An EB-1 visa is given to persons of extraordinary ability, outstanding professors, researchers, and multinational executives. This type of visa is set aside for the brightest and most talented individuals in their fields. The person applying for an EB-1 must demonstrate sustained national or international recognition in his or her field through detailed documentation. Additionally, the applicant must carry on working in the same field of extraordinary ability when admitted to the United States.

H-1B Nonimmigrant Visa for Professional Workers

An H-1B is a non-immigrant visa that allows a foreign national professional to live and work in the U.S. for a term of three years, which can be renewed for another three years at the end of that period. An H-1B is normally used by businesses to employ foreign citizen workers in certain specialty professions. The responsibility to petition for the entry of the foreign employee through an H-1B application rests with the employer. The USCIS limited the total number of H-1B visa applications it will accept annually. When this numerical cap is reached, USCIS will stop accepting H-1B petitions until the next year.

L-1 Visa Nonimmigrant Visa for Professional Workers

An L-1 visa is for persons working for a company outside the U.S. for one year in a related business entity in an executive, managerial, or specialized role. An L-1 visa petition can only be filed by the company or subsidiary of the foreign company where the foreign national has been employed for a minimum period of 12 months within the last three years in the role of a manager, executive, or special knowledge work.

TN Visas for Citizens of Canada & Mexico (NAFTA)

Under NAFTA, Canadian and Mexican citizens may temporarily enter the U.S. to engage in business activities with a TN visa. For Canadian citizens, the type of employment an individual is seeking must be listed on the NAFTA approved professions list. Mexican citizens must have pre-arranged employment situations in certain approved professions.

It is important to note that the visa types listed above are only a few examples of the total number of employment visas that are available for foreign nationals. Also, processing times for work visas vary depending on a number of factors. When an individual gains entry to the U.S. on a work visa, it is important to make sure that the person follows certain conditions to stay in compliance with work visa requirements.

Search Legal Web Resources